About Open Connectivity Foundation
Billions of connected devices (devices, phones, computers and sensors) should be able to communicate with one another regardless of manufacturer, operating system, chipset or physical transport. The Open Connectivity Foundation (OCF) is creating a specification and sponsoring an open source project to make this possible. OCF will unlock the massive opportunity in the IoT market, accelerate industry innovation and help developers and companies create solutions that map to a single open specification. OCF will help ensure secure interoperability for consumers, business, and industry.
WHY ARE WE DOING THIS?
- We want to connect the next 25 billion devices for the Internet of Things.
- We want to provide secure and reliable device discovery and connectivity across multiple OSs and platforms.
- There are multiple proposals and forums driving different approaches… but no single solution addresses the majority of key requirements.
- To get industry consolidation around a common, interoperable approach.
- To build a broad industry consortium of companies to create a scalable solution.
WHAT ARE WE DOING?
- Defining the specification, certification & branding to deliver reliable interoperability — a connectivity framework that abstracts complexity
- Our open specification allows anyone to implement and it is easy for developers to use
- It includes predictable IP protection & branding for certified devices (via compliance testing) and service-level interoperability
- There is also an Open Source implementation of our specification – IoTivity Project
- This Open Source implementation is designed to enable application developers and device manufacturers to deliver interoperable products across Android, iOS, Windows, Linux, Tizen, and more.
WHO NEEDS THIS?
- Consumers, Enterprise, Industrial, Automotive, Health, etc. who want smart devices to easily interconnect and communicate with appliances, embedded devices, etc.
- Developers of operating systems, platforms, and applications who want their products to interoperate seamlessly across many brands and ecosystems.
- End users who want consistent levels of security and identity across smart devices down to the smallest connected appliance
HOW ARE WE DELIVERING IT?
- Defining a comprehensive communications framework to enable emerging applications in all key vertical markets.
- The framework will enable multiple new modes of communication, such as Peer-to-Peer, Mesh & Bridging, Reporting & Control, etc.
- The framework includes a consistent implementation of identity, authentication and security across the modes of User ID, Enterprise / Industrial ID & Credentials.
- It also includes a sense of proximity for the Internet of Things and Wearable devices and includes support for Onboarding and Provisioning.
- And the framework supports a “building block” architecture and provide an Open Source implementation